Transferring Credits

How Credit is Awarded

Credit is awarded for college-level coursework completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country.

Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to a course in the curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are remedial, technical, vocational, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable. Courses completed at other colleges or universities that have descriptions closely matching the descriptions of courses taught at the home campus will generally transfer as direct course equivalents.

If you have completed coursework at a University of Wisconsin (UW) or Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) campus, you can evaluate how your credits might transfer to your home campus by visiting Transfer Wisconsin.

Once you have been admitted as a transfer student and confirm your intention to enroll, your home campus will conduct a complete credit evaluation. Home campuses may accept transfer credit differently and total credits awarded to you may vary by home campus.

Bachelor’s Degree Applicants

Students interested in a bachelor’s degree completion program offered through UW Extended Campus who have fewer than the required number of transferable college credits, may be considered for provisional admission. If you have less than 60 credits, we encourage you to request information and to contact an enrollment adviser to find out what options may be available to you. It may be possible to satisfy the credit requirements concurrent with foundational courses in the program.

If you are not sure whether you meet these requirements, or have additional questions about transfer credits, please contact an enrollment adviser.

Have questions? Contact an enrollment adviser at:

Business Hours:

Enrollment advisers are available Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, or by appointment.